If you want your partner to be with you in Australia then you can only sponsor your partner if you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident. To sponsor a partner, you must either be married, have a registered relationship, in a de facto relationship or be engaged.

A partner visa is for fiancé spouses and de-factor partners of Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents

The first requirement of a spouse visa is to show evidence that your relationship is genuine and lasting and that you intend to live together on a permanent basis. Only one application is necessary for a partner visa which includes the temporary visa and the permanent resident visa. The temporary visa is issued for the partner to travel from his/her home country abroad to Australia where he/she may then adjust his/her status to permanent resident.

Explore More

Partner Visa Subclass 820

Partner Visa Subclass 820 is the pathway for the permanent residency. Partner Visa 820 is a temporary visa allowing the visa holder to stay in Australia with his/her spouse until the partner is granted the permanent partner visa (subclass 801).

Benefits of this Visa:

  • You can Stay in Australia until obtaining a permanent partner visa
  • Work in Australia
  • Study in Australia (without government funding)
  • Enroll in Medicare

Partner Visa Subclass 801

If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident then you can sponsor your spouse under Partner Visa Subclass 801, which allows the spouse to stay in Australia permanently. The requirement for this visa is that the applicant has to be in Australia at the time of application and decision of the visa.

Benefits of this Visa:

  • Stay in Australia permanently
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Apply for Australian citizenship (based on eligibility)
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • Avail social security benefits
  • This visa allows you to travel in and out from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted.

Prospective Marriage Visa Subclass 300:

This type of visa is designed for those who are outside Australia and intend to marry an Australian citizen or permanent resident. The Prospective Marriage Visa Subclass 300 is basically a temporary visa and is valid until 9 months.

Benefits of this Visa

  • Stay in Australia for 9 months
  • Work in Australia
  • Study in Australia
  • Apply for a Partner visa after marriage.
  • Travel to and from Australia as often as you want.


The applicant must be married with:

  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian permanent resident

Australia law must approve your marriage. This means you must have permission parents if you are 16 or 17 years of age. You must be married for at least 12 months.