Temporary Graduate Visa - Subclass 485 Visa Australia
What Is 485 Visa Australia?
International students who have finished their studies in Australia are eligible to apply for the 485 Visa, also called the Temporary Graduate Visa. They can use this to their advantage by staying on a temporary basis after graduation to obtain work experience or enroll in graduate school.
485 Visa Streams
The Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) in Australia has two main types;
Graduate Work Stream:
This category is for international students who have finished their education and possess credentials in high-demand fields in Australia’s economy. The typical duration of a visa issued through the Graduate Work Stream is 18 months.
Post-Study Work Stream:
Foreign nationals who obtained a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctoral degree in Australia are eligible to apply for the Post-Study Work Stream. The length of time you are granted this visa is subject to your level of education:
- Bachelor’s degree: Up to 2 years
- Master’s by coursework degree: Up to 2 years
- Master’s by research degree: Up to 3 years
- Doctoral degree (Ph.D.): Up to 4 years
Benefits of 485 visa Australia
The Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) in Australia offers several benefits to international students who have completed their studies:
It allows graduates to obtain meaningful work experience in Australia, which can help them advance their careers and use their talents in a real-world context
A longer Stay/ Extended Stay
Graduates can stay in Australia for an extended period of time, providing them more time to pursue work prospects, further study, or other personal aspirations.
Pathway to Permanent Residency
Depending on their circumstances, some graduates may utilize the 485 Visa to apply for permanent residency in Australia via skilled migration paths.
The 485 Visa has two streams (Graduate Work Stream and Post-Study Work Stream), which provide flexibility for graduates with varying qualifications and professional ambitions.
Eligible family members can also be added in the visa application, granting them the right to live, work, and study in Australia.
It provides the opportunity to network and create professional relationships in Australia, which can help with future career opportunities.
Some Australian institutions and areas provide post-study support programs to help graduates transition into the workforce or extend their education.
Australia is known for its high-quality education system, and this visa allows graduates to fully utilize their degree
Eligibility Criteria of Australia 485 visa
Here are the eligibility criteria for the Australia 485 Visa:
- The age requirement for this is that individuals must be under the age of 50.
- In order to submit a visa application, it is a requirement that you are physically present within the borders of Australia.
- In order to comply with the Australian study requirements, it is necessary for you to meet certain criteria.
- The visa application must be submitted within a period of 6 months from the date of receiving the results.
- Each degree program (Bachelor’s, Master’s, etc.) has its own set of prerequisites you must fulfill.
- For the duration of your stay in Australia, you must obtain health insurance.
- A minimum level of proficiency in the English language is required.
- The visa application can only be submitted once during an individual’s lifetime.
Here are the 5 types of English certificates approved by the Australian Government
At least score 6.0 in overall.
At least score 5.0 in each of 4 parts.
At least score 64 in total.
At least score 50 in total.
Each skill must be at least 36.
|OET||At least score B in each of 4 parts.|
|Cambridge C1 Advanced test|
At least score 169 in total.
At least score 154 in each of the 4 parts.
Requirements for 485 visa Australia
Some other requirements of subclass 485 visa conclude:
- You studied at an Australian university.
- You did not hold a previous 485 visa or a 476 visa (for a graduate stream).
- You meet the skills requirements (for a graduate stream)
- Your occupation is listed in the skilled occupation list (for a graduate stream)
In order to be eligible for a 485 visa, it is imperative that the study program pursued in Australia fulfills the necessary study requirements.
- The course that you have completed was registered under CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students).
- The individual possessed a valid student visa.
- The individual has successfully fulfilled all the necessary course requirements.
- The course that was studied was instructed in the English language.
- The individual engaged in a minimum of two years or a total of 92 weeks of study.
- The study program was completed within a minimum duration of 16 months.
485 visa Processing time
The short-term 485 visa processing time differs in different aspects, including the course chosen. In order to ensure the processing of the application for a 485 dependent visa, it is imperative that the fees are settled at the time of application submission. Failure to do so will result in a delay in processing time for the visa. The processing times for this visa are as follows:
485 Visa Processing Time According to Streams
25% of applications processed in
50% of applications processed in
75% of applications processed in
90% of applications processed in
Graduate Work Stream
Post-study Work Stream
Australia 485 Visa Fee:
The Visa 485 fee for Secondary applicants is A$1895 if they lodge independent applications. The 485 visa fee for secondary applicants who is at least 18 will be A$950, and for applicants who are less than 18 the 485 visa cost will be A$475; if they apply as combined applicants with the primary applicant.
How Can I Apply for Subclass 485?
- Check the list of Skilled Occupations and whether your own occupation is there in this tally.
- Get your skills assessed by the relevant authority.
- Check the points system since you need a score of at least 65 points.
- Write your EOI to the Australian Department of Home Affairs via SkillSelect. The latter will analyze your points and thereafter invite you to apply.
- The Home Affairs department will ask for the application after acceptance of the EOI. You will have to provide all documents within a period of 60 days.
- Submit after applying through ImmiAccount and pay the applicable charges within this period.
- After submission of your application, find the email with the ImmiAccount login for tracking status.
- Biometric scans and medical examinations are vital for each applicant so keep this point in mind.
- After visa approval, an email will arrive with the grant number, starting date, terms and conditions, etc.
The 485 Visa, or Temporary Graduate Visa, provides international students in Australia the chance to gain work experience or continue their education. To apply successfully, candidates must follow a step-by-step process, ensuring they meet all necessary criteria and adhere to the visa’s terms and conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Subclass 485 visas granted under the Post-study work stream are valid for between 18 months and 4 years, depending on the applicant’s qualifications
To convert a 485 Visa to Permanent Residency (PR) in Australia, you generally need to gain relevant work experience, obtain a positive skills assessment, and apply for a suitable PR visa through SkillSelect, meeting the specific eligibility criteria for the chosen visa subclass. Consulting with an immigration expert is recommended for personalized guidance.
If you already hold a 485 visa, you can apply for family members to join you in Australia on a 485 visa.
Yes, you can apply for an Australia Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) without a formal skill assessment. Skill assessments are typically required for skilled migration visas, but the 485 Visa is designed to allow recent international graduates to gain work experience in Australia, and it does not have the same skill assessment requirement. However, you must still meet the visa’s other eligibility criteria, such as completing a relevant course, meeting English language requirements, and having health insurance.
Talk to our Visa Experts
Let's Connect !
Feel free to take the first step towards your visa success story. Reach out, and let’s set off on this journey together!